Protecting Motorcyclist Rights
How an experienced Boston motorcycle accident attorney can help
Although riding a motorcycle can be exhilarating, there is also an elevated risk of crashing and sustaining a serious injury, such as a fatal head or spinal injury—especially when compared with other vehicles. In fact, the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that the fatality rate among motorbike accidents is more than quintuple that of car accidents.
But despite the inherent danger of riding a motorcycle, motorcyclists are still entitled to the same rights as other motorists, and they share the same responsibilities. This includes many rights that are taken for granted by car and truck drivers, such as the following:
- Right to a full lane of roadway. Other motorists may not pass motorcycles in the same lane, nor may they share a lane with a motorcycle.
- Right to acceptable road conditions. For other motorists, gravel, potholes, slippery surfaces, and uneven pavement may be minor annoyances or even go unnoticed. But for motorcyclists, unsafe roads can pose a major safety hazard.
Jonathan D. Light is a Boston motorcycle accident lawyer who understands the rights of motorcyclists, and is fully prepared to help clients who are injured in collisions resulting from negligence, unsatisfactory road conditions, or denial of road space.
What causes motorcycle accidents?
Motorcycles most often crash with other automobiles. Factors that are common in car and truck accidents, such as distraction, fatigue, and weather conditions are also typical of motorcycle accidents. But certain negligence-related factors, such as the following, threaten the safety of motorcyclists significantly more than of other motorists:
- Lack of visibility. Drivers who are not alert and aware of their surroundings could easily miss a motorcyclist in a blind spot.
- Speeding. For both motorcycles and other vehicles, speeding decreases the reaction time of the driver and increases the impact velocity when collisions occur.
- Road conditions. According to the NHTSA, fixed objects such as road debris, uneven pavement, and fluid spills play a role in 26 percent of fatal motorcycle accidents.
How a lawyer can help
Especially in accidents caused by negligence, Boston motorcycle accident attorneys play a significant role in helping their clients attain rightful compensation for their injuries. With the help of an experienced attorney like Jonathan D. Light, motorcycle accident victims can seek coverage for medical costs, property damage, lost wages due to missed work, and emotional damage.
Moreover, support from a Boston motorcycle accident lawyer allows you to recover from your injury with peace of mind knowing that the details of your case, such as negotiating with insurance companies and other parties, is being skillfully handled.
Contact a qualified lawyer with 35 years experience, proven ability, integrity and dedication
If you have sustained injury in a motorcycle accident as a result of negligence, or would like more information from a top local lawyer, the Boston Law Firm of Jonathan D. Light, P.C. is here for you. Email us online or call 617-245-0220 today to schedule your free initial consultation.